The New Media & Digital Culture Master Programme welcomes students who are eager to learn, participate and co-operate within the academic field of Media Studies.
Application deadlines: Foreign students have to apply before September 1 (if you want to start the Master in February) or before April 1 (if you want to start in September). Dutch students have to apply before October 15 (for a February start) or before April 1 (for a September start).
Admission is granted to those who demonstrate basic knowledge, insight and skills in:
- the position and functioning of new media in culture, society, and politics
- the analysis of digital communication in all its guises
- quantitative and qualitative research methods
- hands-on new media practices
Students holding a Bachelor’s diploma in Theatre, Film and Television Studies, Communication and Information Studies and Language and Culture Studies (with a specialisation in New Media and Digital Culture) from Utrecht University meet the requirements listed above, if they have successfully completed the following courses:
- History & Theory of New Media (Geschiedenis en theorie van de nieuwe media) - level 7.5 ECTS
- Philosophy of Media & Communication (Filosofie van media en communicatie) - 7.5 ECTS
- Two courses in the field of New Media & Digital Culture, or alternatively one course and a Bachelor thesis in the field of New Media & Digital Culture. The course list can be found on the faculty programme website
An admissions committee will determine whether you will be admitted to the programme.
If you have an other BA degree, a degree from a non-Dutch University or a degree from a University of Applied Sciences (HBO diploma) you can gain admission by demonstrating to have acquired comparable competences, or by entering the pre-Master's programme. The pre-Master's programme is tailored to the New Media & Digital Culture Master’s degree programme and comprises of either 30 or 60 ECTS.
More contact information about admission details is available on our website here.